SLIDER

Grids

Saturday, October 6, 2012
(Day 6 of a 31 Day Series)

The next logical step is to combine the straight lines we learned about last time and turn them into grids. Scale (or distance between the lines) will give you different looks and textures. Try turning your grids on the diagonal. Everything seems to look more complicated when it is “on point.”
Grids - walking foot quilting
A) Large Scale Grid: This one is quilted down the middle of each block. You can SID as shown or not, it’s up to you.
B) Small Scale Grid: This one gives so much texture to a quilt. The quilt in the example is using 6” blocks so you would be quilting lines every 2”. Keep that in mind before you start this design on a king size quilt :)
C) Diagonal Large Scale Grid: This one is achieved by quilting across from corner to corner in each block creating an “X.”
D) Diagonal Small Scale Grid: Once again this design adds lots of texture to an area but will require lots of time to create.
E) Combinations: Feel free to combine different quilting designs or parts of designs to make new designs. Here I have used “cornerstone” from day 4 and only half of design “C.”
Don’t forget that you can always double or triple your lines and that random spacing will give you a more whimsical look.
Tomorrow is Sunday. I’ve rounded up some beautiful pictures for you to look at!
~ Norma

2 comments :

gale said...

I've found that I get less attempted puckering (because I don't allow that. lol) when I do diagonal quilting than when I it horizontally or vertically. I'm not sure why-maybe the bias is more forgiving. My sister tried it and had more trouble with diagonal lines.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

I finished my quilt top that I thought I'd straight line quilt, but all my seams are not perfectly straight. Would you suggest diagonal quilting to mask the imperfection, or should I just fmq squiggles? That is what I usually do.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design