SLIDER

Starglass

Tuesday, July 13, 2010
OK so I have to admit that this whole business of naming quilts and blocks is harder than it seems! I tried out a few names for this new design, most of which were pretty lame and along the lines of "star block" and "easier than it looks star block."

Well this design is easier than it looks because it is made up of all half square triangles (HST.) I love how easily half square triangles can be made up and the many possibilities of quilt layouts from such a simple block. I came up with this layout because it was my turn at my LQG(local quilt guild) to demonstrate the block of the month. I wanted to pick something super easy so that everyone could make it. I also wanted it to be a block would be interesting as a quilt. So after I showed the ladies how to properly make a block (see awesome tutorial here and here) I showed them 4 of the 12 layouts I had come up with using EQ6.

Well the Starglass layout was a favorite among those attending and the ladies wanted copies of it, which I didn't have with me, so I told them I would post it here. Welcome Lick Skillet Quilt Guild members! Now this layout can be made into a block by using small HST or into a nice baby quilt by using 5" charm squares. 5" charm squares would yield a quilt measuring 33"x33" to which you could (I would) add borders to.

Enjoy!

Norma

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I have a love/hate relationship with HST. They are easy but boring, you know? You make them worth it with this interesting layout.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Hi Norma, Starglass is a beautiful block, I'm looking forward to being able to design gorgeous blocks myself now. Thank you for the info you sent, very helpful and I appreciate it. I love your new name! Cathy xo

Hover to Pin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design