SLIDER

Monkey See

Saturday, February 8, 2014

embroidery1 

The last few days I have been working on some hand embroidery items for a customer. I was pretty much given free reign over what to embroider.

There were approximately 60 pieces for me to embroider most were hearts but there were also some rectangles. The linen shows the stitches very nicely. However, if you plan on working with linen I suggest either doing the embroidery first then cutting your shapes out or cutting your pieces larger than needed then trimming to size after you embroider. Linen loves to fray. I felt like I had to give the pieces the white glove treatment! The smaller hearts were about 2” across the widest part and the larger ones were about 3” across. embroidery2 It was fun to sit for several hours and catch up on Downton Abbey. I was only one episode behind so I needed to find something else to watch while sitting and stitching. I found a series called “London Hospital.” I LOVE it. I recommend it but I have to warn you that there are a few scenes that are a bit gory/bloody when they are performing surgeries. Unfortunately there are only 2 seasons and I’m almost done with it. Have you found any other 1900’s type dramas that you have liked? I already watched “Upstairs, Downstairs.”

My 7 year old daughter was intrigued by what I was doing and begged me to show her how to embroider. She kept asking every day until I gave in and set her up with a small hoop, a scrap piece of fabric and a simple flower I drew on the fabric. I gave her a quick how to demonstration and he worked quietly on it for the rest of the evening.
embroidery3 I think she grasped the concept quite well. My plan is to turn this into a little pincushion of her very own.

Norma

4 comments :

Quiltingranny said...

Cool little gifts!

Gene Black said...

did you consider running a fine bead of white school glue around the edges of the linen to prevent fraying?

tink's mom said...

What a terrific job she did. Wouldn't have guessed it was her first attempt. It will make a wonderful pin cushion. Maybe she could do the date on the back of the cushion to mark the start of her craftyness.

the solomon family said...

Wow!!!! She did an amazing job and it sounds like it kept her busy for the night!!! That's awesome!

Hover to Pin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design