SLIDER

One {Wo}Man's Trash...

Thursday, October 21, 2010
I spent the better part of 2 mornings this week raking up pine straw off my lawn. Now if you don't live in the south then you are not familiar with the natural phenomenon of pine straw. You see the south has really tall skinny pine trees. No, not at all like the pretty pines of the west, you know the real pretty fluffy ones that look like Christmas trees. No ours look like scraggly toothpicks. Well once autumn rolls around they drop their needles like crazy! They fall already dried out and brown and this my friends is what we southerners refer to as "pine straw."

this pile was at least 25 feet in length and 2.5 feet tall, and that's only form 2/3 of my front lawn

Like I said I spent the better part of two mornings raking it all up into piles, then loading those piles into the wheel barrow and dumping it at the curb. That's what you do in my neck of the woods, you pile your yard debris and large trash items on your front lawn. I've been known to pull over and grab rescue picture frames, chairs, etc. from the curb. Eventually, about once a week, a big dump truck will drive by and take it all away to the dump. Don't worry this is all in addition to regular trash pick up day. We're not barbarians down here, we do have trash cans!

Some "crazy" people, like me {probably all transplants/non-natives} can't stand the sight of pine straw. Then there are other "crazy" people {everyone but me! LOL} who pay for this stuff by the bale {just like straw} and use it in their landscaping just like mulch.

Yesterday I came home to find a nice man raking up all my pine straw into the back of his pick up truck. "I hope you don't mind," he yelled at me as I got out of the car. I told him that I didn't mind, but in my head I was thinking "why in the world would I mind? But I would mind it a whole lot less if you would come and do the raking next time!"

~ Norma

5 comments :

Myrnie said...

Oh my...we had those trees in Eastern Washington when I was growing up! Raking the needles was such a chore, and we always felt cheated that after all that work, we couldn't even jump in the piles! (And any child foolish enough to try was normally rewarded with a hundred pin-pricks through their jeans, and they usually managed to land on at least one big pine cone.)

Gene Black said...

Ha, I leave all the pine stray in "that corner" of th yard and it doesn't need to be mowed. After a few years it is all nicely composted at the bottom of the pile and the earth there is very rich. Did you know that azaleas LOVE being planted under those pines?

highdeekay said...

I knew we'd lived there long enough when Phil stated, "you know, I kinda like the look of pine straw instead of mulch." Crazy. Thanks for the trip down memory lane (although not that long ago).

Joy said...

The crazy thing is people pay for that stuff! When we bought our house the first thing I did was cut down the pine tree out front. I had enough raking of the "Pine Straw" at our old house!

Kristen said...

I heard on the radio this morning that the DJ had read an article where they were calling all the leaves that are falling right now "nature's bounty" because people can use them in their compost piles and whatnot. Then he offered for anyone to come and partake of the "nature's bounty" that was laying all over his yard. I would like to second that guy and say that anyone who wants to come and rake my "nature's bounty" is more than welcome to it!

Hover to Pin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design