SLIDER

Holiday Lane

Monday, November 26, 2012

Today is the day I get to share my Holiday Lane pillow with you.

Holiday Lane Pillow

I already had a pillow form I wanted to use so I made some changes to the pattern so that it would fit my 12”x22” pillow form. I omitted two houses and I also did the “flange” differently. I don’t really care for big fluffy, floppy pillows. I like a more streamlined look. If you want your pillow to look like mine you can just do a regular quilt binding. I was tempted to go all out with the quilting but I decided to keep it simple. All of the quilting was done with my walking foot. I wanted to show my “31 Days of Walking Foot” readers that walking foot quilting can be more than straight lines.

My applique was done differently than most. I use a stabilizer on the back as a “sew in template.” Once washed the stabilizer becomes softer with each successive wash. I can write up a tutorial if you are interested in learning this technique. 

Holiday Lane Pillow

 

I like to glue everything in place and layer the quilt sandwich so that my applique stitches also become quilting stitches.

Holiday Lane Pillow

I backed the sandwich in a random blue that I had lying around since this goes in the middle of the pillow no one will ever see the blue. I quilted the “sky” in a design I’m calling “windy clouds.” It is a combination of “waves” and “water.” The difference is that instead of curving back gently like I did in “water”  I chose to pivot back in a sharp point. I quilted in the ditch around the houses and outlined each of the applique items (trees, windows, doors.) I like the puffiness of the houses so I choose to leave them without quilting.

Here is closer shot of the front so that you can see the stitching I did in the sky.

Holiday Lane Pillow

 

Remember the mini zig zag I shared with you before Thanksgiving? Well I threw it on the back just for funsies! Each HST unit measures a measly 1” and it wasn’t really that fun working with that much bulk in a tiny space. It sure looks cute though.

Holiday Lane Pillow - back

 

A special thanks to Pauline & Madame Samm for organizing our blog hop, and Jill for sharing her pattern (get yours here- free!)
Go visit the other hoppers for today!

 

For now the pillow is living on my bed until the Christmas decorations go up. Usually we do the tree on Black Friday because we don’t partake of that particular tradition :) I hate crowds! We had company this weekend so the decorations will go up this week. Is your house all decked out already?
~ Norma

 

Monday November 26

Living Life One Day at a Time

Polka Dot Classic
Sophie Junction

I'm Keeping Busy

Sunshine Quilting

The Treehouse

Nun's Quilt World

Ellison Lane Quilts

From This to That

Mary on Lake Pulaski

Luann's Loose Threads

Till We Quilt Again
13 Woodhouse Road

60 comments :

Martina said...

Love your smaller version and the fabrics are lovely!

Lesley said...

Love your pillow! Great fabric choices!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Lovely pillow! I like the smaller size. Your fabric choices are wonderful. Nice quilting!

Nati said...

Your pillow is adorable, love the quilting, the colours and the changes you made in the pattern! our decorations go up 8 Dec... following catholic tradition. Really looking forward to it!

Sunshine Girl said...

Great pillow - I love the quilting in the sky.

Nini said...

I love your pillow, great job!!
Greetings from Germany
Nicole

Gill said...

Great cushion! and thank you for showing the back so we could see exactly how you quilted it!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pillow! :)

memmens said...

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing

Sparky said...

adorable...really fine photos too..love to include them on interest, let me know if you put them somewhere where I can add them...they would be an asset to our collection

charlotte said...

Very nice. I like the smaller pillow you made.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Lovely pillow, very nicely done!

Britt-Inger said...

Your pillow is so cute. I love your fabric choices

Patty said...

Great pillow - you did a wonderful job!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

turned out wonderful!

gpc said...

It's beautiful -- I love the way you did the quilting. I haven't quilted anything yet, and the simplicity of your style here is very appealing to me.

Rosa said...

It`s super cool and love your fabrics too!

tink's mom said...

VEry pretty, thanks so much for sharing.

Kate said...

It's quite lovely.

carla said...

Hi!! It is very pretty!!!

pinsandneedles said...

Great pillow...love the quilting and the simple border! Great idea!

sew.darn.quilt said...

What a wonderful petite pillow, very cute :)

Brenda said...

I'm interested in how you did the applique. It looks so neat on your pillow. Mine doesn't lay as pretty as your's does. What stablizer do you use? Great pillow!
hulseybg at gmail dot com

LJ said...

Very neat pillow; love the red dotty binding. I do follow you; you are so informative. Yes, I'd like to have a tut on the stabilizer thingy. Thanks for all the quilt stitching notes and tips.

Linda said...

Your pillow is very nice! Great job!

Ellie Q said...

Love your pillow!

giddy99 said...

So very darling! I love your modifications, too (so versatile)!

In stitches and seams said...

cute pillow I love the angle you took the picture at ..... maybe one day I will get more creative with my photos...
in stitches

sophie said...

Beautiful project! FWIW, I did a lot of straight line quilting (with a walking foot) on my pillow, too--it just seemed right with the geometric prints I used.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Hello Fellow Poster, Love your pillow. Just getting around to see what everyone has made. Thanks For Sharing!

Jane's Quilting said...

Your pillow is very pretty and petite. Great idea.

Quilt n Queen said...

Good morning Norma...beautiful, the fabric, the stitching, the photos. I love how you made your pillow with the binding...that was my choice too. Love the simplicity of your pillow...great job!! Thanks for sharing your time and inspiration with us...Happy stitching, Pauline

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Cute little pillow. Thanks for sharing.

BizyStitches said...

I like the way you did the binding. Thanks for sharing and being in the hop.

Chris said...

Very sweet......I like it smaller for some spaces.

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

love your interpretation! Great job! I especially like your applique technique! I'd love to learn how to do that. :)

Mary said...

You did a very nice job on your pillow. It was a fun pattern to play with. Thank you for sharing.

Anna said...

pretty pillow and great quilting!

Melinda said...

I love this! It's so classic with just a touch of Christmas!

Judy B said...

Beautiful pillow! Thank you for sharing.

Gmama Jane said...

Nice choice for a smaller version and matches the quilt on your bed quite nicely.
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Carrie P. said...

I like your pillow a lot. well done.

Carol Swift said...

Such a lovely pillow and quilting, too. I'll have to go check out your 31 days of walking foot since I love using mine and could use any little hints you've got. :O)

evelyn said...

Wonderful pillow. I like that you did a tut on your methods. I also checked out your 31 days of walking foot. I am now a follower.

Sallie said...

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
I love your pillow, Lovely fabrics and the colors are just beautiful
Thank you for sharing today

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

absoutely gorgeous, great quilting too.
Thanks for sharing.
Liebe Grüße
Bente in Germany

JudyCinNC said...

Very wonderful and cute for Christmas. Judy C

Teatime Creations said...

sew pretty in a smaller size. I like your color choice.

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing your pillow and the quick tutorial of how you did it. It is an awesome pillow!

Thearica said...

Love your pillow and the way you did the outer edge! After I finished mine I didn't care for the flange either... I gave the pillow to my MIL today and she loves it so it all ended well.

I don't do Black Friday either.. people are crazy!!

Just Quilt It said...

I really like the black background. Your pillow turned out just great! I love seeing all of the different houses.

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

Love your version of the pillow and your quilting! Would love to see a tutorial for your applique technique. TFS

Denise :) said...

Oh I love your interpretation of the pillow -- very elegant and modern looking!! :)

MoeWest said...

Very nice and and I like that it's not Christmasy so you can use it for the winter months.

Pamela said...

Great pillow and love that you used quilt binding method instead of the flange. Great idea!

SIMPLESEW said...

Its adorable

Beth said...

I love your pillow. Thanks for sharing.

Wendy said...

lovely! The quilting is so effective.

I suspect our decorations will go up a few days before christmas as usual!

Martha said...

Love your pillow...great fabric choices and I love the size. Thanks for sharing.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design