SLIDER

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Tuesday, May 17, 2011
The time is upon us once more for the spring Blogger's Quilt Festival. Basically it's a giant online quilt show. Free of charge and in your jammies if you so desire! You can find all of the other participating blogs at Amy's Creative Side.

I want to share my latest finish with you. This is "Heidi's Quilt"



Heid's Quilt 1


Those of you who have been following my blog for a while may remember that my dear friend lost her husband to cancer a year ago in February. I made this quilt for her using his shirts. The orange setting squares are from his favorite shirt. I was able to find a really awesome orange plaid for the back (Hobby Lobby.)



Heid's Quilt 2


This is my first official completely quilted on my frame quilt that did not end up with an all over stippling. I learned a ton in making this quilt. Like the importance of squaring up your finished blocks when you're dealing with so many different types of fabrics. Or how long it actually takes to do custom quilting. I very naively thought I'd finish up the quilting in a day. Well I worked on this quilt for about 4 days (don't forget I'm pregnant and have 2 little ones) and used a whopping 8.5 bobbins (these are larger than domestic sewing machine bobbins.) I also learned that your hands get sore from quilting for so long! Oh and I even had to rotate the quilt to get all of the sashings done.

Stats:
64"x64"
Fabrics: Shirtings
Sashing: Kona Bone
Machine pieced and quilted by me
It was made using the free Charming Stars pattern found at the Moda Bakeshop

It's not perfect but I love the end result and I know my friend loved it. I was so glad I was able to give it to her in person last week. That was the icing on the cake for a project that was lots of work. And here's a close up of the quilting.



Heid's Quilt 3


Feel free to look around my blog and take a look at my other recent love.
DQS10 finished

~ Norma

PS you can visit my other blog Quilty Giveaways to find the latest quilt related giveaways going on in bloggy land.

26 comments :

Siobhan said...

Hi Norma, its a beautiful quilt and I can see that it was made with love and I'm sure holds some great memories for your friend. What a great gift. Thanks for sharing your story :)

RosaMarĂ­a said...

es uno de mis favoritos y yo creo que las telas de las camisas le quedan perfecto! buen trabajo de quilting Norma!

Kelly Rachel said...

Well worth all the effort - absolutely stunning. A wonderful gift for your friend.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is a really beautiful quilt and a loving gift. Love the stars!

Wendi said...

I'm sure this soft and beautiful quilt filled with meaningful fabrics will give comfort to your friend during this difficult time. It's such a beautiful and peaceful quilt!

Simply Sandy said...

What a beautiful memorial quilt. I loved it when I first saw it in the mini pics and I love it even more after I read about it. Your friend must love wrapping up in it.

Dara said...

You are so sweet to do this for your friend- it will be a gift she will always treasure.

Julie Fukuda said...

What a lovely remberance for your friend and an inspiration for us that you have shared it.

corrie said...

It is fantastic! You did a great job.

Marit said...

The quilt is beautiful, and a very strong expression of support for your friend. Sometimes the best you can do is to wrap them in love...

Marg said...

This quilt is beautiful, and a wonderful gift for your friend to cherish.

Philippa said...

Hi Norma

Its a beautiful quilt and one to be treasured - which I am sure it will. Well done.

Lynette said...

What a poignant story, and it turned out beautifully. Your quilting looks terrific - you even put words in there~!

Carol G said...

You picked a great pattern to combine all the shirts. It is beautiful and such a gift of love.

Allie said...

This is the most beautiful memory quilt I've ever seen. You did a brilliant job on this!

Anonymous said...

Agree with everyone, fantastic memory quilt. I love the swirl quilting on the stars, so pretty.

Michelle said...

It's beautiful! You did an amazing job!!!

prsd4tim2 said...

Love the quilt and the fact that it's made with your friend's husband's shirts. I know she will cherish the quilt. And the quilting is AMAZING from the back. Nicely done.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a crisp and bright memory quilt. Love your quilting. Congrats on a fine job.

Auntie Em said...

What an amazing gift for your friend. I know it will be treasured by both her and her daughter.

Your quilting is amazing!

You are a wonderful friend.

Jane said...

That is a great quilt! First I went looking for the pattern...thank you for the referral. Then I saw the link for your other site. My goodness! Did I ever get derailed over there!

Eileen said...

what a sweet, lovely quilt. love the colors and the pattern. i spent days hugging my dad's shirts after he passed away, and found them so comforting so this quilt must provide that for your friend. love the quilting, too--it's lovely. thanks so much for sharing and have a great day

stitchinpenny said...

The quilting was worth the effort it is beautiful.

Sarah Flynn said...

What a lovely quilt and lovely story behind it, a gorgeous keepsake to have!

Anonymous said...

This quilt is grogeous! I love the wagon wheelish looking one too. I hope you have a better week going forward and best wishes for the a lovely birth to welcome your new baby.

Staci said...

What a wonderful quilt! What a beautiful gift for your friend.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design